Looking for Those Who Believe
The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”
Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
Matthew 8:8-13 NIV
The story of the centurion’s faith shows us the kind of heart that God looks for from us. To believe without proof right in front of us. To believe simply because we trust God is who he says He is and will do what He says He will do. Oh, that we would have faith like this centurion who was an outcast in that day. He wasn’t someone the Jews would have allowed into their inner circle. Jesus wasn’t looking for only those who knew scripture and had been educated in the faith. This centurion was neither of those, as were the many He touched and healed. He was looking for those who believed He was who He claimed to be.
That changes everything for us, if we truly believe all that Jesus said and proclaimed. Statements like these should rock our world:
• Take heart, I have overcome the world - John 16:33
• Go and learn what this means ‘I desire mercy, and not sacrifice' - Matthew 9:13
• Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven - Matthew 9:2
• Ask and it will be given to you… - Matthew 7:7
• If the Son has set you free you are free indeed - John 8:36
• For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light - Matthew 11:30
• You are the light of the world - Matthew 5:14
• Apart from me you can do nothing - John 15:5
• With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible - Matthew 19:26
• If you love me you will obey what I command - John 14:15
These are just a few of the many amazing things Jesus said. How would these statements impact our lives if we rested in them without doubt or fear? If we proclaim that we have been saved through what Jesus did on the cross, then everything He said and did also applies to us. Just think about it!
Lord, I pray we let these truths set in. You are who you say you are. You will do what you say you can do. May the cry of our hearts be to simply trust and believe. Help us, Jesus, in our unbelief. We love you!